Posts for: May, 2019
How your ENT specialist in St. Peters, MO, can help you feel better!
Nasal polyps can make you miserable—they can cause congestion in your nasal passages and affect your ability to breathe freely. If polyps are located in your sinuses, they can also cause sinus infections. Luckily, your ENT specialist can treat your nasal polyps through a variety of different ways!
Offering a full range of ENT services from several convenient office locations in St. Peters, St. Louis, and Bridgeton, MO, Dr. Paul E. Burk at Ear Nose Throat St. Peters Balloon Sinuplasty can help you feel better!
More about nasal polyps
You can take steps to prevent nasal polyps. Remember to:
- Get effective treatment to manage asthma and allergies if you have them. Effective management of these conditions can prevent sinus and nasal passage inflammation, a leading cause of nasal polyps.
- Avoid tobacco smoke, dust, fumes, and allergens. Staying away from irritants can prevent inflammation.
- Keep your hands washed to avoid transmitting viruses and bacteria. Practicing excellent hygiene can reduce the possibility of infection.
- Place a humidifier in your home, especially your bedroom. Breathing moist air can help soothe irritated nasal passages and sinuses.
- Irrigate your nasal passages and sinuses with saline solution. Flushing out irritants can keep your nasal passages and sinuses from becoming irritated.
For severe symptoms related to nasal polyps, it’s best to seek out treatment from your ENT specialist. Dr. Burk may recommend:
- Prescription strength medications to reduce the size of the polyps or eliminate them. Some common medications include corticosteroids in oral, spray, or injectable form.
- Prescription-strength antihistamines to reduce allergy-related inflammation
- Antibiotics to eliminate bacteria-causing sinus infections
Larger nasal polyps may require endoscopic surgery. An endoscope is inserted into a nostril and guided up into nasal passages and sinuses. Small instruments remove the polyps to help you breathe freely.
Give us a call!
Dial (314) 821-5002 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Paul E. Burk at one of his offices in St. Peters, St. Louis, and Bridgeton, Missouri. Call today to breathe easier